Monday, February 16, 2009

Facebook: Good or Bad?

After reading what Will Ross and a few others had to say about Facebook, I would like to give my own brief opinion. I understand where everyone in the article is coming from. As a nation we have become overly dependent on technology. Personally, I am on my phone talking to someone or I am texting friends and family throughout the day. I also spend too much time on facebook trying to keep in contact with everyone I know. I would like to say that the reason for me using my phone or Facebook is to keep in touch with people that are too far away for me to see in person but that just wouldn't be entirely true. Sure I like to get on Facebook to chat with friends who no longer live by me or to talk to family from back home. I also like to call my family that lives in Iowa to see how everything is going. The problem is, I also spend a lot of time texting people that are on campus with me and I spend a lot of time on Facebook playing games or looking at pictures that my friends have posted. I guess maybe throughout each day I could limit myself to just using the phone when i really need to or maybe only getting on Facebook to send a quick hello to friend from far away. I could try turning my phone off for most of the day until I need it. It wouldn't be a bad idea for me to find a way to keep from being so dependent on the technology I have surrounded myself with. It's easy to look past the fact that you "need" something throughout the entire day. I can't go twenty minutes without checking my phone to see if I recieved a text or call.

1 comment:

  1. Thoughtful response. Maybe "being connected" is not really "connecting" in a deep, meaningful way with these important people in our lives. I do like to use Facebook to touch base with far away family and friends.

    ReplyDelete